Friday, January 2, 2009

Thanksgiving/ Black Friday revised

Thanksgiving is supposed to be filled with being thankful for the things in your life that make it meaningful. For my family Thanksgiving is about spending time together. Though when my mom tells everyone to come at 1 we know by now to expect them by maybe 2. Though when they finally arrive all annoyance is gone. We settle down and eat and we each share a memory that is meaningful to us. Though the younger generation as soon as they’re done get up and leave and look for something to do. They don't understand that the dinner is not just about eating but being able to spend time together. It seems as the years have passed Thanksgiving traditions have faded and in their place are sort of restlessness. These changes make me notice and miss what's important to me. My family is important to me and I hardly get to see them so I always look forward to the holidays when I can get to see them. We always have fun. Usually after dinner we play games and have dessert. I guess in a way traditions are also meaningful to me because I have grown up with them and they have been with us since I was a kid.
Black Friday is when the stores bring out their biggest sales for the season. Everyone goes out early in the morning and waits in big lines to be able to get the things they want. I cannot really remember if my mom or me ever really participated in this event. I never usually go shopping on Black Friday because of all the people that are out and about. I find the whole idea stupid that people need to make such a fuss about all the sales. Its like people lose all their moral standings and become so consumed with buying things they turn into ugly versions of themselves. During the time after Thanksgiving my mom and I usually go down to New Jersey. We do our shopping on Saturday because their will still be sales with less of a mob of people. There are also bigger malls in New Jersey to shop in. But for some reason we deiced to go shopping on Black Friday. We went to Wal-Mart and even though it was late there was a fair amount of people there. The place was very busy and when you looked at the shelves you could see gaps where things once stood. The registers were very busy and lines were long. I guess like most people we wanted to start on our Christmas chopping because like during black Friday the weeks leading up to Christmas can be very crowded with last minute shopping. I do not get so excited with the sales and start freaking out but I do enjoy them. Having a lot of friends and buying them all gifts can be tricky when you have a budget so the sales help. Only after we went home and turned on the news did we hear about the day’s events with the Wal-Mart in Long island and the people that got hurt. My mom thought is was ridiculous how the people acted and how the Wal-Mart opened again even after the event.

No comments: